Human occupation began at Whalers’ Bay on Deception Island in Antarctica in 1911, with Norway establishing a whaling station, that closed in 1931 with the slump in whale oil prices.

The British Navy – in 1944 – made a base here that after the war became a science research station, to be occupied continuously until 1967, until a volcanic eruption saw the base evacuated and then abandoned as a mudflow destroyed most buildings during a second eruption in 1969.

Travels in Antarctica – 2003